Dara Daucus Outstanding cut flower that’s actually a carrot.
- Direct sow seeds in average soil in full sun after all danger of frost. It is not recommended to start indoors as plants are challenging to transplant. Sow where you want them to grow.
- Prepare the soil by removing weeds and working organic matter into the top 6-8 inches of soil; then level and smooth. Ammi majus prefers a cool, moist soil.
- Most plants respond well to soils amended with organic matter. Compost is a wonderful form of organic matter with a good balance of nutrients and an ideal pH level, it can be added to your planting area at any time. If compost is not available, top dress the soil after planting with 1-2 inches of organic mulch, which will begin to breakdown into compost. After the growing season, a soil test will indicate what soil amendments are needed for the following season.
- Sow seeds thinly and cover with ¼ inch of soil.
- Firm soil lightly, water and keep evenly moist.
- Seedlings will emerge in 7-21 days.
- Thin to stand about 15-18 inches apart when 1 inch high.
- Keep weeds under control during the growing season. Weeds compete with plants for water, space and nutrients, so control them by either cultivating often or use a mulch to prevent their seeds from germinating.