Gladiolus American beauty Description
Gladiolus American beauty are available with flowers in a huge range of colours, including apricot, blue, burgundy, pink, gold, red, orange, and white, as well as multicoloured varieties.
Gladiolus American beauty The plants bloom in midsummer; however, you can prolong the bloom period by choosing early, mid, and late season types and staggering planting times. Height ranges from 2 to 6 feet.
Today s gardeners can choose from a wide range of flower forms, colours and heights, so there s certainly a gladiolus for everyone s taste. Gladiolus are generally grouped by flower size into classes from miniature to giant.
|Common name||Flower colours||Bloom time||Height||Difficulty|
|Sword lily||Orange, Pink, White, Yellow||Summer||3 to 4 feet||Easy|
Planting and care
Gladiolus plants grow wonderfully in the warm weather of summer. You can produce these flowers in sequence by planting some corms every few weeks or so. Learning how to take care of gladiolus will reward you with a huge array of colours and they also work out great for cut flowers. Lets look at how to grow gladiolus.
You will want to plant the gladiolus deeper than usual because they have a tall sheaf of leaves. This will help anchor them against strong winds that might blow them over to the ground.
|Full sun||Gladiolus prefer well-drained and even sandy soil||If you get less than 1 inch of rain a week, water your plants regularly throughout the summer. Otherwise, water them moderately when in growth to keep the soil moist.||10 C and above||Use N-P-K ratio 5-10-10 or 5-10-5|
Caring for Gladiolus
- Put a 2“ to 4 inch layer of mulch around your gladioli to keep your soil moist and help prevent weeds.
- If you get less than 1 inch of rain a week, water your plants regularly throughout the summer.
- Otherwise, water them moderately when in growth to keep the soil moist.
- Remove the faded/dead flowers to ensure continuous growth. Once all the flowers on a stalk have gone, cut off the stalk.
- Be sure to leave the plant intact so it can mature and rejuvenate the corms for the next season.